With compliment of: Ruth Owen Lewis, Samantha Microsoft windows and Marian Gray at Aberystwyth University; Agustin Valera Medina, Natalie Moyce and Alys Kowalik at Cardiff University; Kathleen Griffiths during the University of Wales, Trinity Saint David; Nicola Brabyn at Cardiff Metropolitan University; Dr Lisa Davies on University of Southern Wales; and Caroline Townsend Jones at Gower College Swansea.
Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus! Happy St David’s Day!
It’s St David’s Day! This is the national day of Wales, when Welsh schools, colleges, universities and communities bond to celebrate Welsh tradition. St David is the patron saint of Wales, and it’s thought he died regarding first of March around 569.
This really is additionally a perfect time for you encounter Welsh tradition – why not find out some Welsh phrases and words, try cawl (a traditional Welsh stew) or check-out among the numerous St David’s Day activities taking place in Cardiff (the capital of Wales) and nationwide these days? See what’s happening towards you using the Visit Wales occasion search.
For more tips, we requested professionals to list the 20 most readily useful things you can do in Wales – these days and over summer and winter…
1. Escape the city in Cardiff’s areas – Roath Park is home to numerous of flowers of various types, and Bute Park is a peaceful haven in the centre for the town. a trail follows the River Taff because snakes from Bute Park and Cardiff Castle, right to the city of Brecon 55 miles away – and it's really ideal for biking or walking on a sunny time.
2. ‘Kick the bar’ in Aberystwyth – a nearby customized in which residents walk in one end associated with the city to another across the promenade, taking-in the sea atmosphere, the Castle and all sorts of the seafront hotels.
3. Use the Vale of Rheidol steam train to Devil’s Bridge Falls. These special waterfalls have attracted lots and lots of site visitors since the eighteenth century, and also the steam train winds around the hills with dazzling views associated with the Welsh country.
4. Go underground – 300 legs underground! In the Big Pit National Coal Museum, the tour guides are ex-miners taking site visitors through a network of underground roadways, air doors, stables and motor houses. It’s in addition free to enter, whilst’s area of the nationwide Museum of Wales.
5. Will you be a Dr whom fan? Plus the numerous Welsh places regularly movie the BBC television show, you can visit the Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff Bay for an interactive journey together with world’s many substantial assortment of original Doctor whom props.
6. Feel poetic with a trip to Dylan Thomas’ birthplace in Swansea or Dylan Thomas' Boathouse in Laugharne – this is home to your Welsh journalist going back four several years of his life (1949 to 1953), and was where he published the poem, ‘Do maybe not go gentle into that good night’. Close by may be the small village of Llansteffan and its impressive 12th-century castle.
7. Get lost on the list of Merthyr Mawr Sand Dunes, a network of dunes moving towards the shoreline between Porthcawl and Ogmore-by-sea. The area lays claim toward highest solitary sand dune in Europe, and moments through the popular 1962 film Lawrence of Arabia were filmed here.See also: